Video: Huxley has a lot to prove
Let's make one thing clear: I've been pimping Huxley since before I began working for 360 Fanboy. The idea of a massively multiplayer first person shooter is almost too delicious to contemplate. In the intervening months, with the release of several AAA 360 titles, Huxley has been all but forgotten. As fate would have it, a new video of the game popped up on the net today, and Xboxyde was kind enough to create a streaming version of it, as is their wont. Call me jaded, but the video is uninspiring. It's just a generic montage of blasting things with a tiny bit of the actual MMO aspect of the game thrown in. Considering the main selling point of Huxley is its MMO nature, you'd think they'd make more use of it in a promotional video. But, I digress. Check out the video and make your own judgments. Does it look like it can stand up against the likes of Gears, COD3, or Vegas?
- MISSING: Playstation 3 exclusives (11/19/2006)
- New Blue Dragon artwork scans (11/19/2006)
- Eat Pop-Tarts, get Xbox beanie hat (11/19/2006)
- Bungie, they aren't corporate... are they? (11/18/2006)
- Id says 360 is a gem to develop on (11/18/2006)
Reader Comments(Page 1)
2. Lets put this in societal terms. Constant action makes the gamer look like a simpleton. If all you are these days is an Unreal junkie, you are regarded as...well...less than intelligent.
Enter the self-proclaimed "thinking man's games".
Posted at 6:35PM on Nov 10th 2006 by Edge of Blade 0 stars
3. I mostly agree with the other commenters, but to be fair to the game, we have no idea how the actual gameplay is. This trailer was obviously edited for maximum action, and maybe that's what the marketing team thought would appeal to people. There do seem to be vehicles and the maps seem very expansive, which is nice.
Posted at 6:49PM on Nov 10th 2006 by Tonicboy 0 stars
4. How DARE you speak bad about Huxley the Pig!
Posted at 7:18PM on Nov 10th 2006 by RocketMBA 0 stars
5. Yes, a giant bag of 'meh'.
We've played this before - UT2004. Run-n-gun is definitely wearing thin, hence the focus on vehicles now. Huxley's MMO twist may save it, but not if the gameplay is rehashed. Makes me wonder if UT2007 will even be much of a hit.
Reminds me of how action movies of the '80's disappeared - people wanted something more interesting and challenging. Action isn't a bad thing - action all the time, is.
Posted at 6:24PM on Nov 10th 2006 by intRvenous 0 stars
6. This game just fell from my most wanted list like a sack of $#!%.
Posted at 7:44PM on Nov 10th 2006 by kai harness 0 stars
7. Disappointing video - especially in light of recent releases (GoW / RS:V).
At least there's a few more months of development still to go for some needed improvements.
Posted at 8:05AM on Nov 11th 2006 by Rogue Soul 0 stars
8. is the write of the article out of his mind???? What the hell is there not to like about that video??? It looks GREAT! and it looks pretty intense. I'm ready for huxley!
Posted at 9:06AM on Nov 11th 2006 by RobNyack 0 stars
9. I have to agree, I'm not getting what's wrong with this game. The video impressed me, even though I kept waiting for it to completely suck. For a moment there I thought it was it was going to be like Gods and Generals.
But then again, I've never heard of this game and this is the first time I've witnessed any gameplay.
Posted at 11:01AM on Nov 11th 2006 by xfan 6 stars
10. I agree, looks like UT2004.
However, I would add that I really enjoy some of the UT2004 Invasion RPG servers. I could imagine a similar FPS-MMO working on a larger scale. What the video lacks, as the poster states, is any indication of being an MMO -- no teamplay, no RPG screens, no communication or interaction with other players.
Posted at 6:42PM on Nov 11th 2006 by cobalt 0 stars
11. WOW, you just killed santa claus for me, i was pimping this game as much as you were when you first read about the potential. The graphics i've seen before look 1000 times better then this video. This looks like SWG or something OLD. My Dreams are dashed forever!
Posted at 7:10PM on Nov 12th 2006 by PiNPOiNT 0 stars
12. This game just fell from my most wanted list like a sack of $#!%
Posted at 10:52PM on Nov 12th 2006 by trent 0 stars
13. # 6. This game just fell from my most wanted list like a sack of $#!%.
Wait, what, you were wishing for a sack of $#!%?
I'd really like to see some of the much hyped MMO aspect of the game instead of fast-paced run-and-gun action. The physics seemed nice though they are pretty much a requirement these days.
Posted at 8:29AM on Nov 13th 2006 by jyrque 0 stars
Add your comments
Please keep your comments relevant to this blog entry: inappropriate or purely promotional comments may be removed. Email addresses are never displayed, but they are required to confirm your comments. To create a live link, simply type the URL (including http://) or email address and we will make it a live link for you. You can put up to 3 URLs in your comments. Line breaks and paragraphs are automatically converted — no need to use <p> or <br> tags.
1. I like the art direction of the game (sort of Final Fantasy VII meets ), and the MMO shooter sounds cool, but I'm already spoiled by Gears of War (and Clancy games). I don't really enjoy run and gun games anymore. I was never a huge Halo fan because it just seems like twitch gaming; fire, focus, jump, run.
Posted at 5:42PM on Nov 10th 2006 by Lou 0 stars